It's finished! In an amazingly short amount of time for me. Ordinarily at least two seasons have passed before I complete a big project. ;-) Now, to begin, this cupboard has sat in our basement for the entire 6 years we've lived here....and probably 50 years before that. Here was the little teaser I gave just a short bit ago. At some point someone decided to give the cupboard some love....by painting it silver. I will say that at that time it probably looked nice....now, it just looked like an orphan left behind from the mission to the moon.
This is what the poor old girl looked like to begin with...in the last room of the basement, stuff leaned up against it, on top of it, underneath it. SUCH a mess. And...well....I've had it with messes. It just shouted P.O.T.E.N.T.I.A.L. Isn't it funny how you can look at something OVER, and OVER, and OVER, and never see it for what it is, then one day WHAMO!
If you decide to undertake a project like this I definitely advise hiring this guy. He's funny, a hard worker and those Sponge Bob jammies and dinosaur boots make me grin everytime I look at him. :-) Great for morale!
We discovered (thankfully) that the top of the cupboard and base were in no way connected. This was VERY good news for me because let me just say I may have broken in half trying to lift it otherwise. I broke in half a little just lifting the top...so yeah, definitely I'd have perished by lifting the whole thing. This is the base in it's new home, next to the freezer, prior to a shiny new paint job.
This looks like something out of a horror movie, you can say it, you won't hurt my feelings. These were the old knobs...and scary dirty cupboard doors.
Once the cabinet was on top of the base (that was painful, and hard, and heavy and...well that's when I broke in half a little, I cleaned it thoroughly (it was REALLY dirty) and then painted, painted and painted some more. Silver paint takes A LOT to cover. Ah, it looks so pretty now. I could barely wait for the last coat to dry before I started loading it up. I sorted through all my canned goods....some were from the first garden I planted...yeah, that would be six years ago. Botchulism, um, no thanks. That's okay, it made more space for this year's harvest. :-) I now ALSO have space to stock up on things when they are on sale! My paper towels now have a pretty little home on the bottom shelf with my stock pots.
I've had these little pretties for several years...old canning jars are so charming. They've had several different jobs over the years, but I like this job the best!!! They now hold my cupcake liners....if there's one thing I enjoy it's a pretty cupcake liner....and sprinkles...I L.O.V.E. sprinkles. Stringtown sprinkles to be exact. (If you've never been...and you live in Iowa, you MUST visit the Stringtown Grocery north of Kalona.)
I digress. Back to the project!
If you've read my blog...ever....you probably know that i love to paint signs...signs about pretty much anything. Well I certainly couldn't leave my new little beauty without some decoration! So, into the cupboard door stash I go (thanks again ReStore). Actually this one was a big drawer front. (Broke the bank at 25 cents)
Add a little ReStore paint, drill a few holes for the top, add a cute little rope and we have signage!
Eat Local! Doesn't get much more local than 40 feet from the garden to the cupboard!
Oh I can't wait to get my hands dirty this spring!
Please excuse the dark photos....the sun has decided to forget how to shine in Iowa this week.
And this whole show lives in the basement.
It's So Very Creative at It's So Very Cheri
DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land